Iñupiaq Name: Ugruk
Scientific Name: Erignathus barbatus
Iñupiaq Name: Qaiġulik
Scientific Name: Histriophoca (previously Phoca) fasciata
Iñupiaq Name: Natchiq
Scientific Name: Pusa (previously Phoca) hispida
Iñupiaq Name: Qasiġiaq
Scientific Name: Phoca largha
Ice Seal Sounds
Here is an MP3 file of bearded seal sounds. The bearded seal call is an eerie sound that starts out high and sort of “circles” down to a lower pitch. Here is an MP3 file of ringed seal sounds. These sounds were recorded with hydrophones placed in the open lead on the sea ice near Barrow by NSB-DWM biologists. The recordings were analyzed and clips were produced under the direction of Christopher W. Clark at the Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology.
For more ice seal sounds go to Sounds of the Arctic. This poster with sound files was put together by Catherine Berchok (National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA) and Kate Stafford (University of Washington, Applied Physics Lab) with support from BOEMRE (Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement) and the NSB.
2021 Ice Seal Locations (As of 20-Jul-2021)
Other Studies on Ice Seals in Alaska
- Seal Heart Studies: What can seals tell us about heart disease? – This is a presentation given by Robert Elsner, professor emeritus at UAF, on work he completed on ice seals in the 1980s and 1990s.
- Ice Seal Biomonitoring Program (ADF&G).
- Ice Seal Monitoring in the Bering-Chukchi Sea Region Progress Report August 2009 – This report, by ADF&G biologist Lori Quakenbush, details the progress of the Ice Seal Monitoring in the Bering-Chukchi Seas.
- Shishmaref Seal Sampling Update – Spring 2005 (Gay Sheffield, ADF&G).
Endangered Species Act (ESA) Listing of Ice Seals
NOTE: The ESA listing does not affect hunters’ ability to take ice seals on the North Slope. No regulations are projected for the near future but the NSB and the Ice Seal Committee will work together to limit any possible regulatory actions that may be taken in the future.
- NOAA extends final decision on listing some ringed and bearded seals as threatened
- Updates on Listing Status of three species of Ice Seals
- Proposed listing under the ESA for Ringed Seals – December 10, 2010
- Proposed listing under the ESA for Bearded Seals – December 10, 2010
- 90-day Finding on a Petition to List the Three Ice Seal Species as Threatened or Endangered – September 4, 2008
More on Ice Seals
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game Notebook Series:
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game Species Profil – Ringed Seal.
- Seal Hunting and Safety (ADFG) – This link will bring you to an educational guide and workbook on seal hunting. The materials were designed by ADFG for students grades 4-6 in Yup’ik communities in Alaska but they can be modified for other seal hunting communities and student ages as well.
- Wainwright Students and Seals Program – Information on a program that provided an opportunity for Wainwright students to visit Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Interesting Finding:
Banner photo credit: Kate Stafford