The Mission of the Planning and Community Services Department is to protect the land and cultural resources of the North Slope Borough by creating a department that is recognized as a leader in:
establishing means to protect the land and wildlife resources within the borough;
- regulating and monitoring development;
- managing borough owned real estate;
- planning for future growth;
- enhancing community sustainability and overall health; and
- supporting local traditions and lifestyles.
The departmental is responsible for comprehensive planning and land use regulation that address environmental, health, social, and economic impacts to communities as well as the land and natural resources including wildlife; maintaining the region’s historic and cultural heritage; and management of borough owned lands including commercial real estate management.