Oil and Gas Leasing, Exploration and Development Activities on the North Slope
These pages contain some basic information about oil and gas activities on the North Slope of Alaska and in adjacent marine waters. The list is not comprehensive but the information and links are intended to be informational. More information will be added as it comes available.
NSB Oil and Gas Plans and Policy Positions
- North Slope Borough Arctic Offshore Oil and Gas Development Policy Positions.
- North Slope Borough Resolution 19-2008 – North Slope Borough Resolution 19-2008 (2008). A resolution establishing a proactive policy opposing oil and gas exploration and development off the coast of the Northwest Arctic Borough and the North Slope Borough and supporting actions to assure responsible development.
- Northwest Arctic Borough Resolution 11-28 – A resolution establishing a proactive policy on oil and gas exploration, development, and production off the coast of the Northwest Arctic Borough and the North Slope Borough.
- North Slope Borough Comprehensive Oil and Gas Development Plan, Technical Report – Not yet finalized.
- North Slope News article: Itta, E.S. 2007. Oil (Development) and Water Don’t Mix. North Slope News, April 2007. North Slope Borough, Alaska.
- Reeves, R.R., P.J. Ewins, S. Agbayani, M.P. Heide-Jørgensen, K.M, Kovacs, C. Lydersen, R. Suydam, W. Elliott, G. Polet, Y. van Dijk, R. Blijleven. 2014. Distribution of endemic cetaceans in relation to hydrocarbon development and commercial shipping in a warming Arctic. Marine Policy 44:375-389.
- Streever, B., et al. 2016. Changes in fish catch rates in the presence of air gun sounds in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Arctic 69(4):346-358.
- Braund, S.R. and J. Kruse, eds. 2009. Synthesis: Three decades of research on socioeconomic effects related to offshore petroleum development in coastal Alaska. Technical report prepared for the U.S. Department of the Interior, Minerals Management Service, Alaska OCS Region, Anchorage, Alaska. Technical Report Number MMS 2009-006.
- Braund, S.R., et al. 2017. Social indicators in coastal Alaska: Arctic Communities. Final Report. Prepared for the U.S. Department of the Interior, Alaska OCS Region, Anchorage, Alaska. Technical Report Number BOEM 2017-035.