The following projects have been at least partially funded through grants obtained by the Alaska Beluga Whale Committee:
- Documentation of Beluga Harvest
- Beaufort Sea Stock Projects (DFO funded)
- Bristol Bay Stock Projects
- Eastern Bering Sea Stock Projects
- Eastern Chukchi Sea Stock Projects
- Satellite maps of tagged Alaskan Beluga stocks
- Animation of movements of Eastern Bering Sea and Eastern Chukchi Sea stocks
DFO, 2000. Eastern Beaufort Sea Beluga. DFO Science Stock Status Report E5-38 (or click here for online version)
Richard, P.R., et al. 2001. Summer and autumn movements of belugas of the eastern Beaufort Sea stock. Arctic 54(3):223-236.
Harwood, L.A., et al. 2002. The Harvest of Beluga Whales in Canada's western Arctic: Hunter-based monitoring of the size and composition of the catch. Arctic 55(1):10-20.
Ostertag, S., et al. 2016. Enhancing monitoring of beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas) in the western Canadian Arctic through the development of local ecological indicators. Paper presented at AOS 2016: 3rd Biennial Arctic Observing Summit, Fairbanks, Alaska, in March 2016.
2018. Beluga Summit: knowledge sharing of the eastern Beaufort Sea beluga whale. Arctic Science 4:i-iv, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2018-0011.
- Collings, P., et al. 2018. “We don’t know anything about whales”: Ecological knowledge and ways of knowing in Ulukhaktok, Northwest Territories, Canada. Arctic Science 4:223-241, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0030.
- Waugh, D., et al. 2018. Inuvialuit traditional ecological knowledge of beluga whale (Delphinapterus leucas) under changing climatic conditions in Tuktoyaktuk, NT. Arctic Science 4:242-258, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0034.
- Halliday, W.D., et al. 2018. Seasonal patterns in acoustic detections of marine mammals near Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories. Arctic Science 4:259-278, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0021.
- Girdlestone, C.D., et al. 2018. Description of cochlear morphology and hair cell variation in the beluga whale. Arctic Science 4:279-291, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0031.
- Ostertag, S.K., et al. 2018. “That’s how we know they’re healthy”: the inclusion of traditional ecological knowledge in beluga health monitoring in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. Arctic Science 4:292-320, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0050.
- Sharma, R., et al. 2018. Qualitative risk assessment of impact of Toxoplasma gondii on health of beluga whales, Delphinapterus leucas, from the Eastern Beaufort Sea, Northwest Territories. Arctic Science 4:321-337, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0037.
- Nielsen, O., et al. 2018. Alphaherpesvirus: isolation, identification, partial characterisation, associated pathologic findings, and epidemiology in beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas) in Alaska and Arctic Canada. Arctic Science 4:338-357, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0043.
- Loseto, L.L., et al. 2018. Cortisol levels in beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas): Setting a benchmark for Marine Protected Area monitoring. Arctic Science 4:358-372, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0020.
- Noel, M., et al. 2018. Legacy contaminants in the eastern Beaufort Sea beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas): are temporal trends reflecting regulations? Arctic Science 4:373-387, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0049.
- Smythe, T.A., et al. 2018. Temporal trends of brominated and fluorinated contaminants in Canadian Arctic beluga (Delphinapterus leucas). Arctic Science, 2018, 4:388-404, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0044.
- Ostertag, S.K. and H.M. Chan. 2018. Biomarkers of the cholinergic and dopaminergic signaling pathways in Arctic beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas): relationship to methylmercury and selenium. Arctic Science 4:405-420, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0033.
- Loseto, L.L., et al. 2018. Diet and feeding observations from an unusual beluga harvest in 2014 near Ulukhaktok, Northwest Territories, Canada. Arctic Science 4:421-431, https://doi.org/10.1139/as-2017-0046.