The mission of the Department of Iñupiat History, Language and Culture is to document, preserve and perpetuate the history, language and culture of the North Slope Region and to ensure that cultural issues are given appropriate consideration during the planning process.
The Department accomplishes this mission by:
- Assist with Iñupiaq language revitalization efforts;
- Collecting and documenting cultural information;
- Digitizing and cataloguing cultural and historical information;
- Sharing history, language and culture through tourism;
- Developing dynamic exhibits and education programs;
- Publishing material pertaining to Iñupiat history, language and culture;
- Making cultural materials such as traditional clothing and goods more easily and widely available;
- Assist with Iñupiaq cultural orientation and translation services;
- Researching and developing educational, historical and cultural materials for enrichment of classroom use by working in close cooperation with all stakeholders;
- Utilizing the Iñupiat Heritage Center and the Simon Paneak Memorial Museum as dynamic repositories and conveyors of traditional cultural knowledge, values and skills;
- Collecting, recording, preserving, documenting, displaying and interpreting artifacts and other associated materials relating to the history, culture and traditions of the Iñupiat people;
Drawing upon traditional Iñupiaq knowledge, the museums assume an active and supportive role in local and Borough wide cultural awareness, enrichment and educational programs.
The Department’s actions help fulfill the North Slope Borough’s founding commitment to document, preserve and perpetuate its Iñupiaq heritage.
Now available on your mobile device!!
First though, you must request an user account by downloading and sending back our
Rosetta Stone Iñupiaq Online Registration
Submit your form to our email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any questions? Contact us at (907) 852-0422
Iñupiat Heritage Center
Simon Paneak Memorial Museum
Check out our digital collection on Past Perfect museum collection software online!
For other Iñupiaq language learning resources click on this link
Colleen Akpik-Lemen, Director
Phone Number: (907) 852-0422
Fax Number: (907) 852-0455